I’ve been traveling the last few days and have not had a change to write. There has been a lot going on so here we go:
On Sat I traveled to Jaipur with a stop-over in Mumbai. Unfortunate for me (and quite expected) no one told me that the same plane continues to Jaipur so I get out and start looking for my connecting gate. None to be found. So I exit to find check-in and they look at me like I must have special needs. They proceed to tell me that I have to go back thru security and board the same plane I had just left. Pretty funny considering it almost left without me. I know there are a few of you (Brooke Semel) that are just nodding your head in disbelief, but you already know that’s how I roll.
On Sat I traveled to Jaipur with a stop-over in Mumbai. Unfortunate for me (and quite expected) no one told me that the same plane continues to Jaipur so I get out and start looking for my connecting gate. None to be found. So I exit to find check-in and they look at me like I must have special needs. They proceed to tell me that I have to go back thru security and board the same plane I had just left. Pretty funny considering it almost left without me. I know there are a few of you (Brooke Semel) that are just nodding your head in disbelief, but you already know that’s how I roll.
Jaipur was an awesome city. It was built in the 1700’s as a merchant town and it remains just that. It’s a market everywhere you look; silk, jewels, rugs, whatever you want, they sell. Unfortunately they also have an incredible amount of road congestion with pedestrians, scooters, little moped-taxis and camels. No joke, I have had to cross the street and calculate the approaching speed of a camels and make a rational judgment with zero experience to cross or not. I sprinted. The one thing I did not expect was the amount of little kids that followed and begged everywhere I went . It was heartbreaking. I took the advice of people and tried to keep my money, but some kids got the best of me and took advantage of my not so quick currency conversion skills.
At my hotel room, does anyone else think this is an Indian man's STOOP?
I visited some old palaces and forts built by the Maha Raja’s of the time. The real treat was going to 1000yr old town and fort where the Maha Raja actually lived at the time. The place was insanely big, with Turkish baths, a courtyard for elephant polo, 4 palaces each with identical rooms for his 2 wives (a Hindu and Muslim wife). Words can’t describe the place so here are some picks. On the way, I came to understand that the preferred modes of transportation in Rajashthan are 1) scooters 2) camel 3) elephant. I don’t know why its not elephants straight up.
Camels are decevingly fast and they dont check their blind spots.
With some time to spare I went to the jewelry market and visited a few places. They are quick to offer you tea (which I am told helps loosen your pockets). The stones are not cheaper than anywhere else in the world, but the craftsmanship is second to none. I drank some tea and watched them put on the ACT: show me everything that is special of the region, give me a special discount, and as I ponder the 5K purchase (which there is no way I am buying!- sorry mom) they go talk to their manager and give me a very secret special. I pull the usual and say I will shop some more and return at which point they call the owner and offer me their best price. They fall short of following you to the car and throwing their last offer through the window. I loved the whole dance and I am positive tourists fall for it.
Markets:
After two days in Jaipur I wake up early to catch a train to Ranthambore (a tiger reservoir) the line to get tickets was about an hour long and no seats in first class available. Knowing that 2nd class may or may not include riding the train on the outside, I decided to catch a cab and pay the extra cash. The cab driver was awesome. He had the perfect set of original aviator ray bans and a sailor hat, yes a sailor hat! I couldn’t make this up if a tried. He took me down a short-cut, a short cut that meant going through the Indian version of Kansas with nothing to see. It actually gave me a good idea of what Indian life is like outside of the cities: the good, communities that seem to all contribute to the town and the bad, the extremely poverished that have nothing but a straw hut.
Not in the broshures:
I arrived in Ranthambore and quickly hopped on a jeep and went on a tiger safari. The reserve was amazingly beautiful ; almost right out of the jungle book. No dancing bears, orangutans or tigers to be seen., but I saw plenty of monkeys, peacocks, vultures, antelope, deer and all sorts of birds. No tigers though. I was told it was a tough day to see any since it was 95 degrees. I was a bit disappointed but I still saw some amazing wilderness.
I must say, I look like I belong chasing tigers:
These trees are amazing. Filled with monkeys.
Tomorrow I go to Agra and the Taj .More to come from there.
A note on the Indian people: They are some of the nicest people I have ever encountered. In times when I have been lost and truly needed someone to help , they help. In times when I am eating by myself and need some company, they accompany me. Truly a country filled with the nicest people in the world. Sorry, Iceland.

Stoop = Picture Above = Gaynchor
ReplyDelete