Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Cows: they act like they're deities or something...

Its been a few days of driving back and forth from palace to office so I thought I would write about some of the rules that govern the traffic patters as described by my Roman Catholic/ Hindu driver, Vincent (perfect name for such a paradox of a man):

1. Drive in the middle of two lanes. ie. maintain yellow line directly center between wheels
2. Should somone cut you off, they are a better driver than you. Conceede.
3. There are no turn signals, enter intersection at everyone's risk.
4. Traffic signs, including but not limited to "yield", "stop", "slow", "wrong way", "not a road", area amere formality. Please ignore.
5. Yield for a) cows, b) no one, c) children (maybe), d) calves
6. Maintain composure as if there is intelligence behind the madness. Note: Vincent is incredible at acting like we didn't just almost hit someone, get hit by someone or both simultaniously.
No joke, we have had to yield to cows walking, resting or being godly on the road. Its incredible. No one seems phased by it. I am.

Some of the taxis/mopeds that you try to avoid hitting:

This is clearly just a funny sign:

Don't worry about the glass, its safe. He has his hand on it.



Allow me to insert a word on the food: Papaya!! What a fruit! I had the best papaya of my life this morning. I really thought that i might never taste anything better, but then I had the mango. I stood corrected. Every meal I've had so far has been incredible. This is definately the highlight so far. Even the things that sound unappetizing like rosted cottage cheese and lamb are incredible. I am going to smell SO bad for the Derby, btw.

So far only one downer that I found out last night: Bars close at midnight which is a real bummer cause the bar in this place is out doors with very chill seating. Fortunately another thing I found out last night is that they serve bar drinks 24 hours a day to your room (currenly sipping on some Glenfiddich 15 yrs). Boom!

Having said that, check out my go-to place for drinks: The library bar. over 50 single malts in stock. Indians love their scotch. TT, you would love this bar. Its the cigar/ lounge/bar we have been talking about having but will actually never execute, for years!!

4 comments:

  1. Chavey! If Thomas didn't tell you, I am the most loyal blog follower you will meet. Brian sent me the link, and I'm on it now! Expect a steady stream of comments while I follow your travels. All I can say for now is that your hotel looks amazing you lucky SOB and bring some papaya back for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chavy I am in like Flynn on this blog! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog reads well. I shall follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reads well, but could spell better. :) "Faced" is actually phased, but these are minor details that have not yet taken away from my enjoyment of feeling close to you while you're so far away. - Megan A

    ReplyDelete